Friday, September 13, 2013

Roasted Ranch Potatoes with Bacon and Cheese

Roasted Ranch Potatoes with Bacon and Cheese



Okay.  I realize that several of my recent posts have included bacon in some form or another.  On one hand, I think it is partly due to the fact that a couple of weeks ago my grocery store had a killer deal (half off!) on thick, center cut bacon.  Of course, I stocked up.  

On the other hand, I'm wondering if all the recent talk in the news about a pending bacon shortage has me scrambling to enjoy this salty, porky food as much as possible.

Honestly, however, let's just admit that bacon is just so darn tasty!  There need be no excuse reason to eat it.  My hubby admits he could eat it everyday.  My kiddos love it.  And, I do, too!  


Last year we traveled from Michigan to Arizona for our son's college graduation.  We took a couple of days to travel into California to go to Legoland and due to our adoration of bacon, we made specific plans to go to Slater's 50/50 (a bacon-lover's paradise of a restaurant that we had seen featured months prior to our trip on a bacon-themed food show).  They grind bacon into their burger meat, offer a maple-bacon milkshake and serve bacon brownies!  It was heaven!

So, when I came across this recipe on food.com's website, it appealed to me in every way!

And, by the way ... it is wonderfully simple!

Ingredients:

2 pounds potatoes (unpeeled, washed and cut into chunks)
1/2 cup ranch dressing (bottled, not packet)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping (if desired)
1/4 cup crumbled, cooked bacon
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
3 scallions, washed and chopped
Salt
Pepper
Non-stick cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine (in a large bowl) the ranch dressing, dill, cheese and bacon.  Add in the potatoes.  Sprinkle in a generous pinch of salt and pepper.  Toss to coat potatoes.

Spoon into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.  Cover with foil.

Bake for 60 minutes.  Stir gently halfway through to get the bottom potatoes rotated so they don't become burnt and to ensure that the middle and top potatoes get a chance to brown. 

Remove foil.  Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees.  Gently stir again, as necessary.

Bake for an additional 15 minutes, then sprinkle on a little more cheese, if desired.  Bake a few more minutes or until everything is gooey, browned and bubbly on top.

Serve with scallions sprinkled on top for garnish.

Great with a dollop of sour cream.

NOTE:  The original recipe called for jarred real bacon pieces.  I made the recipe using real bacon (about 5 - 6 slices) that I cooked until crisp and then broke into pieces.  Although I am a firm believer that there is never a substitute for real, fresh bacon, I would think that the kind from a jar would be fine (as long as you don't use imitation bacon bits).


~ Follow Joyously Domestic on Facebook for updates on new posts! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment